One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A farm building with a curved roof set over a steel, timber, or concrete frame without walls, used for storing hay.
- ‘But the panel chairman said its decision was based entirely on the issue of the Dutch barn.’
- ‘By day five, York troops were tackling their first major blaze, on a farm near Long Marston, which caused £20,000 of damage to hay bales and a Dutch barn.’
- ‘Hay worth £130 to £140 was destroyed by fire which broke out in a Dutch barn at Cemetery Farm in Rooley Lane, Bradford.’
- ‘She also hopes that they will be able to wander in a huge enclosure that is to be set out on the site of a former Dutch barn next to the cattery.’
- ‘You make NASA look like toytown and you did it from a Dutch barn on a farm just outside Hyrll.’
- ‘He was woken by his dogs barking at 12.20 am and he looked out of his window to see his five bay Dutch barn alight.’
- ‘Three of the farm's five balers were burned out, and a forklift truck, two tractors, a trailer, a lorry, the farm's own weighbridge and office were lost, along with the two Dutch barns.’
- ‘Police are investigating a suspicious blaze that destroyed 150 tonnes of straw, valued at between £4,000 and £5,000, in a Dutch barn at a farm in Coate, near Devizes, at the weekend.’
- ‘There was a farm with an elegant Dutch barn and a 50-foot diameter pit nicely filed by trees not rubbish.’
- ‘In brief, the enforcement notice concerned four former agricultural buildings, including two Dutch barns or similar, grouped around a yard.’
- ‘But the family's application for planning consent to develop the site of an aging Dutch barn behind Goathland parish church into a terrace of four ‘locals only’ cottages has dismayed some residents worried about the image of the village.’
- ‘If it had still been a farmyard, the applicant would have been within his rights to erect a massive Dutch barn right next to the boundary fence, so in some ways they are better off.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.