One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The tenth and final day of the Hindu festival of Navaratri, usually in October. In southern India it especially commemorates the victory of the god Rama over the demon king Ravana.
- ‘They remind me of the large effigies of Ravana and his tribe that are burnt along with loads of fireworks every year all over north India around Dussehra.’
- ‘Thackeray gave his call in October during his annual address at a rally on the occasion of the Hindu festival, Dussehra.’
- ‘Day ten, variously known as Vijaya Dasami, Dasara and Dussehra, marks the commencement of learning.’
- ‘Festivals like Ugadi, Samkranthi and Dussehra are very important occasions when they get together and organise traditional celebrations.’
- ‘But unlike other parts of India, Dussehra here has nothing to do with Lord Ram or his return to Ayodhya.’
- ‘This is prepared for the beginning of the festival of Dasehra, a ten-day festival celebrated all over India to commemorate the victory of the good Prince Rama over the army of the demon Ravana.’
- ‘But of course the secular harvest festivals of Dussehra, Onam and Vaisakhi are celebrated too.’
- ‘All the major festivals - Teej, Gangaur, Dussehra and rath yatras - start from the palace, as they have for centuries and weekday visits to the temple of Gobind devji are mandatory for the family.’
- ‘He said during the interrogation of the above said it was noticed that members of these gangs generally looted labourers going from Punjab to Bihar and Uttar Pradesh, etc. during Divali and Dasehra.’
- ‘Various religious committees in different parts of the city take out separate shobha yatras in connection with festivals like Janamashtmi, Shivaratri, Ram Navami, Dasehra, etc.’
- ‘On Dussehra this year, more than 10,000 snake charmers from across the country gathered at the 700-year-old temple in Charkhi Dadri, Haryana, to attend the annual snake charmers' panchayat (conference).’
- ‘Because of Dussehra, the place was teeming with devotees.’
- ‘On October 5, there is Dussehra and Lakshmi Puja.’
From Hindi daśahrā, from Sanskrit daśaharā.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.