Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of a composition, especially a song) not based on repeated sections or verses, especially having different music for each verse.Also called through-composed
- ‘In durchkomponiert music like Wagner, no matter how stunning, you keep quite as a mouse until the end of the act.’
- ‘The durchkomponiert character of this movement may also represent an homage to Schumann, who developed that style in his lieder.’
- ‘However, over the last decade the urge has been transformed and channeled into a highly focused, disciplined school of through-composed, what the Germans once called durchkomponiert, improvisational music.’
- ‘His music was not composed in small blocks, but was durchkomponiert - composed with ongoing continuity.’
- ‘However, closer study shows that the writing already exhibits embryonically those traits which characterise Mozart's mature works: some innovative elements of independence of the vocal and instrumental lines are evident, as are the first stirrings of durchkomponiert writing within individual movements and of coherence between them.’
From German, from durch through + komponiert composed (because the music is different throughout).
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.