Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A pair of related novels, plays, or films.
two, couple, duo, duology, brace, twosomeView synonyms
- ‘Writing "short" is a challenge, but after the sustained effort of my last duology it's also a relief, and I'm enjoying the opportunity to play with different styles, voices, and subjects.’
- ‘A second fantasy duology, set in the West at the time of Darwin, was World Without End (1995) and Sea Without a Shore (1996).’
- ‘It is a flawed but eminently fascinating duology.’
- ‘A second, unrelated duology followed: The Burning Land and The Awakened City.’
- ‘I find that I like duologies a lot better than trilogies and quadrilogies so I was wondering if anyone could give me a list of some.’
- ‘The first three books published in the Mageworlds series can be thought of as either a trilogy or a stand-alone and a duology.’
- ‘Duologies are a rare occurrence in horror as well as film in general.’
- ‘My favorite movie of his is Waking Life, though the Before duology has been creeping up.’
- ‘And now that I am finished with this one, a sequel has taken hold of my imagination, titled Lady Of Monochrome - promising to make this a duology.’
- ‘It's just more or less obvious that the pending duology will be major hits at the box office and earn rivers of cash.’
- ‘The fight has the most sardonically brutal finale of any in the duology.’
- ‘The trilogy and duology achieved integrated plots, but the episodic nature of the season lent it a fractured feel.’
- ‘The stark stylistic differences between the two volumes is one of the duology's strong points.’
Mid 19th century: from duo- two, on the pattern of trilogy.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.