One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to or based on the number twelve.
- ‘In an earlier paper I described my discernment of a duodenary, sequential constellation map or zodiac incised on a stamp-seal from Karanovo, Bulgaria and dated to 4800 BCE.’
- ‘The horse is one of the 12 zodiacal animals of the duodenary cycle of the lunar year (year 2002 is the year of the Horse).’
- ‘This calendar system, known in Thai as naksat pi, is based on a duodenary cycle of years, each year being associated with a particular animal.’
- ‘To be noted here is once again the forward shift of one duodenary cycle.’
- ‘Sexagesimal, duodenary and decimal systems based on the numbers 60, 12 and 10 are widespread.’
Mid 19th century: from Latin duodenarius ‘containing twelve’, based on duodecim ‘twelve’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.