One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A basic mobile phone that lacks the advanced functionality characteristic of a smartphone.‘there are still six dumbphones out there for every smartphone’
- ‘I'm currently using a dumbphone with a pay-as-you-go carrier and would like to switch to a pay-as-you-go smartphone.’
- ‘However, smartphone prices are plummeting and dumbphones are disappearing, so it makes sense to grab a smartphone with a data plan.’
- ‘My first mobile phone was a Motorola flip phone in the last 1990s, and I've had a succession of dumbphones since.’
- ‘LG will be not be able to benefit from that market shift in the US while its core market remains tied to dumbphones.’
- ‘More and more of us are ditching our dumbphones and adopting smartphones the world over.’
- ‘The US will see a rapid decline of dumbphones.’
- ‘You might be able to get away with a dumbphone if you don't move around a lot because you can rely on your laptop to reply to emails.’
- ‘I'm very disappointed that you can't get info on what kind of requirements it carries (will it work with my dumbphone?).’
- ‘I currently use a prepaid dumbphone and an iPod touch, but I miss internet when I'm away from wi-fi.’
- ‘Back when we all first starting texting on our dumbphones, the sort of shorthand style that developed was perfectly reasonable.’
- ‘I'm only asking here because people around here seem to be into the mobile space (I own a dumbphone).’
- ‘The company is now only selling smartphones on contract, having dumped every last dumbphone from its range.’
- ‘The unconverted dumbphone market is still huge: case in point, my wife Cathy, who despite living with me and my Android is still by choice using a $30 dumbphone.’
- ‘Remember, it was a dumbphone: no apps!’
- ‘I use a dumbphone these days, as my previous smartphone didn't have the necessary hardware to pick up the 850mhz frequencies supplied here.’
- ‘It suffers from occasional dropped calls and lower reception than other smartphones and most dumbphones.’
- ‘I choose to not carry my dumbphone most of the time.’
- ‘If affordable prepaid options go away at some point, I'll discontinue service and revert to a dumbphone.’
1990s (first referring to a phone used to access the functionality of a more sophisticated system): from dumb and phone (as opposed to smartphone).
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.