One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A highly venomous snake found in south-western Australia, similar to the related brown snakes.
Pseudonaja affinis, family Elapidae
- ‘Needless to say, we gave the dugite a wide berth.’
- ‘This includes many populous areas, and dugites are a relatively frequent cause of snakebite in this area.’
- ‘Other examples resembling the general appearance of dugites from the Middleback ranges and environs have been found.’
- ‘A couple of hours later we saw the culprit by our pond - a 4 ft dugite slithering across the lawn.’
- ‘There are several species, the most important medically being the eastern or common brown, the western brown or gwardar and the dugite.’
Late 19th century: from Nyungar dukayj.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.