One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A quality of passion and inspiration.
- ‘We diminish, by calling it atmosphere, a dark quality closer to Lorca's duende.’
- ‘It is also worth noting that even if the composer or poet is false, the interpreter's duende can create a new marvel bearing little resemblance to the original work.’
- ‘Would you describe your understanding or interpretation of the concept duende?’
- ‘Enveloped in duende, the nihilism of Levis's poetry negated beliefs and consolations.’
- ‘For one who has not read or written much poetry, these two poems possess what Lorca calls duende.’
- ‘As I interpret duende, it consists of those times when everything works for the dancer and the audience.’
- ‘Although Ballet Hispanico presented a trio of premieres, it was Ramon Oller's Bury Me Standing, first seen in 1998, that epitomized the duende of this spunky little company.’
- ‘There was also much discussion of Lorca's concept of duende, that dark intensity or soul at the heart of any true poem.’
- ‘She is the production's profound gift, her dancing enhanced by the pleasing curves of her slightly rounded body, and by her face, which suggests simultaneously purity and duende, the mystery and darkness of another dance form, flamenco.’
- ‘And when you have duende you don't bother with good taste.’
- ‘For those who have experienced duende this is not an honest picture of reality.’
- ‘In addition to its destabilizing qualities, Garcia Lorca associates duende with ever-present danger, death, and renewal.’
- 1.1count noun A spirit.
- ‘They were visited at times by duendes.’
- ‘The duende can cause disease, but placing gourds of food for them in a doorway will prevent an epidemic.’
- ‘A character specific to the Sierra region is the duende, a large-eyed sprite who wears a hat and who preys on children.’
1920s: from Spanish, contraction of duen de casa, from dueño de casa ‘owner of the house’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.