Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Denoting a gland that secretes directly into the bloodstream, such as an endocrine gland or a lymph gland.
- ‘Endocrine glands by contrast are ductless, and secrete hormones directly into the bloodstream.’
- ‘These cellular masses, designated as the ductless glands or glands of internal secretion, have during development lost their original connection with the epithelium of the free surface.’
- ‘Today's hype about genetic enhancement, cloning, and stem cells was preceded by a much earlier hype about hormones, secretions, and ductless glands.’
- ‘They also possess ductless endocrine glands that play a critical role in regulating the body metabolism.’
- ‘All the organs of the body, the ductless glands included, are weakened.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.