One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A tiny aquatic flowering plant that floats in large quantities on still water, often forming an apparently continuous green layer on the surface.
Family Lemnaceae, in particular the genus Lemna
- ‘Barely visible above a mat of wind-blown duckweed were the eyes and nostrils of a four-foot alligator.’
- ‘I loved every moment he was around and would stand at his side as he cleaned the pond of its green duckweed, tugged dandelions from the lawn and snipped the dead heads off Dad's prized dahlias.’
- ‘There are also lovely mosses, liverworts, milfoil duckweed and pondweed.’
- ‘Floating plants like water lilies or duckweed block sunlight, preventing algae from thriving.’
- ‘It sits in a pool of water, and smells of duckweed.’
- ‘These weeds are duckweed and watermeal.’
- ‘If you hike down the steep, stony path on the opposite side, you come to a small, swimming-pool-size basin of water, covered in a green carpet of duckweed.’
- ‘Silvery fish with scales like pearls and translucent blue fins like moonlight swam through the clear, cold water, hiding underneath duckweed and water-flowers floating above the pond's surface.’
- ‘A simple filter cleans and circulates the water while chayote plants, ginger, and duckweed add oxygen and food.’
- ‘Floaters, such as pondweeds and common duckweed, drift freely on the surface and quickly cover the surface of the plant zone.’
- ‘I went to the fountain and saw varieties of water plants like water lilies and duckweed.’
- ‘At the rate these water lettuce heads propagate themselves, they may shortly be declared an invasive weed by the State of Arizona, as has already happened to water hyacinths and duckweed.’
- ‘But one would need to look quickly to find them before they are lost under a coating of mold thicker than the duckweed on Suzhou Creek.’
- ‘In the open water are watershield, spatterdock, white water lily, and several species of duckweed.’
- ‘Suzhou Creek became a hot topic among local residents late last month as vast expanses of green duckweed floated on the water.’
- ‘High protein content makes duckweed an important food source for waterfowl.’
- ‘A thickening soup of duckweed and pondweed stills the surface of the marsh.’
- ‘There's some usage of tomatoes, and there is a small water plant called duckweed that's also being used by a company.’
- ‘Water hyacinths, duckweed, and pondweed are all aquatic monocots.’
- ‘It was concluded by the Environmental Protection Agency in Victoria that the fish kill was caused by excess duckweed in the water, encouraged by high nutrient levels.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.