One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Dive head first under the water while swimming.‘they duck-dived through the waves’
- ‘Today, to the east of the island, snorkellers duck-dive to touch the upturned body of an intact Zero.’
- ‘I duck-dive and rise through a wave, pulling a six-pack ring from my neck and toilet paper from my teeth.’
- ‘In a few minutes Rotondi teaches me the basics - how to duck-dive, how to conserve energy and therefore oxygen and therefore seconds.’
- ‘It also allows efficient duck-diving in heavy or dumping surf.’
- ‘How can I duck-dive without aggravating my back?’
- ‘Since then, thousands of women - including actress Minnie Driver - have learned to duck-dive and turtle-turn at one of the school's three locations.’
A dive made head first while swimming.
- ‘I longed to return to that innocent state of bumbling incompetence when a duck-dive was the pinnacle of achievement.’
- ‘Thanks to a spectacular duck-dive from Steve, the mask was retrieved.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.