One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A severe form of muscular dystrophy caused by a genetic defect and usually affecting boys.
- ‘In Duchenne muscular dystrophy, attempts at cell therapy, using muscle stem cell preparations, have been largely disappointing.’
- ‘Scientists here will study gene and stem cell therapies to treat muscle disease, in particular Duchenne muscular dystrophy.’
- ‘In cases of Duchenne muscular dystrophy, symptoms usually begin to appear around age 5, as the pelvic muscles begin to weaken.’
- ‘The American Thoracic Society published a paper on the respiratory care of patients with Duchenne muscular dystrophy and recent advances in treatment.’
- ‘The work is promising for possible treatments of diseases such as Duchenne muscular dystrophy, but the authors say a lot of work is needed to improve the efficiency of the muscle generating process.’
Late 19th century: named after G. B. A. Duchenne (1806–75), the French neurologist who first described it.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.