One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A form of dance music, typically instrumental, characterized by a sparse, syncopated rhythm and a strong bassline.
- ‘In the year dubstep hit the mainstream the innovators rewrote the script.’
- ‘I think the grime lot always thought that dubstep was the breakbeat stuff, which it isn't.’
- ‘In grime, people listen for what the MCs are saying, in dubstep people listen for the production.’
- ‘And sonically, how can a record that simultaneously evokes joe meek and dubstep fail to transcend its temporal context?’
- ‘It was also a fantastic dubstep release, appearing roughly a decade before the genre would officially get its recognition.’
- ‘You wouldn't associate dubstep with Victorian ghost stories, but actually the linkage somehow fits.’
- ‘House music has no foundation, dubstep has no dub, and minimal techno sounds like a child hitting a saucepan with a tent peg.’
- ‘Mooching around cavernous dubstep spaces with reverberating bass and sultry acoustic guitar, it's as sexy and dark as the Westway at night.’
- ‘Signed to Mike Paradinas's Planet Mu label, he fuses elements of hip-hop, dubstep and drum and bass into his sound.’
- ‘Doing incredibly interesting things with dubstep and some top deliveries from Space Ape this is a great work.’
- ‘It was the first easily accessible documentation of a range of grime artists (the Rephlex Grime compilations are MC-free dub step.)’
- ‘The end effect of The Hologram is a Harmonic 313-style dubstep single played at 33.’
- ‘Lumped in with the dubstep crowd, this is something quite different: deep, heavy as hell and utterly righteous.’
- ‘They're both dark types of garage, but the music runs dubstep, not the MCs.’
- ‘The result is an album that touches on many genres, from hip-hop and gospel to dubstep and blues.’
- ‘Led by dubstep demi-god Kode9, producers and fans are looking to the funky scene for inspiration.’
- ‘Last's sense of rhythm is as developed as any rap, dancehall, broken beat, or dubstep scientist you'd care to throw up.’
- ‘Whereas dubstep tended to loiter without much palpable intent, Grime has an implacable Terminator-focus, a stalker's unwavering sense of purpose.’
- ‘With the usual eerie vocals and bassy dubstep backing from these nihilistic Michigan electroids, what's new with this track is the energy.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.