Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An athletic contest consisting of running and cycling events.‘Alex came first in the duathlon and second in the triathlon in the age group 16 to 19 years’
- ‘Furthermore, Chris assures potential competitors that the sports of triathlon and duathlon are not as elitist as it may seem and actively encourages people of all abilities to compete.’
- ‘Single and multi-sport athletes that come to adventure racing by way of running, cycling, paddling, triathlon and duathlon often struggle with the fact that a team can only move as fast as its slowest member.’
- ‘Essex Police Triathlon was formed from a group of Essex Police employees who take part in the growing multi-sport activities of triathlon and duathlon.’
- ‘She has now set her sights on the Police and Emergency World Games in 2007, with plans to add a triathlon, duathlon and marathon to her list of events.’
- ‘I miss the running a bit and all the friends I made in duathlon.’
- ‘Non-swimmers will enjoy participating in the run-bike duathlon.’
- ‘She is also off soon, to Hungary to represent Britain at duathlon.’
- ‘Tomorrow starts early with a novice duathlon - a gentle introduction to multisport.’
- ‘Squamish's Andrew Clark, who won the duathlon with a time of 1:42:03, races on the 20-kilometre mountain bike half of the event.’
- ‘In 1999, I was competing professionally in both duathlon and cycling.’
- ‘Remarkably, the World Championships represented only the fourth duathlon Benton had competed in - his first was earlier this year in Derbyshire.’
- ‘She also stars for England at national level at both duathlon and triathlon.’
- ‘This duathlon was the World Championship Short Course, six mile run, twenty five mile bike, three mile run.’
- ‘The way he's overcome adversity has been a real inspiration - and in a vain attempt to copy him I'm following his training programme as I prepare for my first duathlon.’
- ‘Will also mixes in two triathlons, possibly a duathlon, and lots of road races and biking!’
- ‘The duathlon begins with an 8 to 12 mile mountain bike ride, followed by a 3 to 4 mile run, then finishes with another 4 to 6 miles of mountain biking.’
- ‘Richard was Junior World silver medallist in both triathlon and duathlon in 1994 and he has won six national titles.’
- ‘He won the 1997 Highland Cross duathlon, one of the toughest endurance events in Scotland, and last year performed consistently well in the Scottish mountain bike series, before placing fifth in the national championship.’
- ‘The repellent will be tested at the First Monster 75 mile cycling and running duathlon around Loch Ness in September.’
- ‘There is nothing better than being in the transition area of a triathlon or duathlon and just taking it all in.’
1980s: blend of duo- and triathlon. Compare with biathlon.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.