Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Delirium tremens.‘a terrible case of the DTs’
- ‘They've white knuckled it through the DT's, but haven't acquired the skills needed to build and maintain stable successful lives.’
- ‘The DTs usually start 24 to 72 hours after a chronic alcoholic either stops or limits drinking.’
- ‘Withdrawal symptoms from alcohol are often popularly called rum fits or DT's.’
- ‘However, the DT's may occur up to two weeks after the last drink.’
- ‘The DTs can be a lethal type of alcohol withdrawal that will result in death unless the alcoholic receives immediate medical treatment.’
Mid 19th century: abbreviation, originally in the singular form DT (now rare).
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.