One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
plural nounusually the DTs
Delirium tremens.‘a terrible case of the DTs’
- ‘However, the DT's may occur up to two weeks after the last drink.’
- ‘They've white knuckled it through the DT's, but haven't acquired the skills needed to build and maintain stable successful lives.’
- ‘The DTs can be a lethal type of alcohol withdrawal that will result in death unless the alcoholic receives immediate medical treatment.’
- ‘The DTs usually start 24 to 72 hours after a chronic alcoholic either stops or limits drinking.’
- ‘Withdrawal symptoms from alcohol are often popularly called rum fits or DT's.’
Mid 19th century: abbreviation, originally in the singular form DT (now rare).
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.