Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(in the UK) Distinguished Service Cross, a decoration for distinguished active service at sea, instituted in 1914.
Doctor of Science.
- ‘In order to create a similar product, Walker's chemist D. P. Callister determined Marmite's chemical composition, the research for which earned him a DSc from the University of Melbourne.’
- ‘On Sunday, April 21, from 5 to 6 PM, Leah Curtin, DSc, will host a student nurse reception.’
- ‘He received his DSc from Imperial College in 1950.’
- ‘In addition he was awarded an honorary DSc from the universities of Bath, Brunel, and Liverpool.’
- ‘Carol Boozer, DSc, one of the researchers, says she is cautiously optimistic about the study's findings.’
- ‘The title he liked the best was always his DSc.’
- ‘Mark F. Schwartz, DSc, clinical co-director of dissociative disorders and compulsivity programs at Masters and Johnson, a St. Louis-based sex research and treatment center, can attest to that.’
- ‘In 1973 he received a DSc from Findlay University and was a professor at the Institute of Environmental Studies and director of the Water Resources Center at the University of Illinois until his 1994 retirement.’
- ‘Leah Curtin, DSc, is another nurse whom great numbers of nurses across the country recognize and respect.’
- ‘With her typical sparkling wit, keynote speaker Leah Curtin, DSc, captivated attendees during the session titled ‘Shared Values for a Troubled World.’’
- ‘We read the article ‘Accommodating Latex Allergy Concerns in Surgical Settings’ by Esah S. Yip, DSc, with great concern and alarm.’
- ‘She obtained a Ph.D in plastic surgery from Madras University in 1979 and was the first to obtain a DSc for her work on nutritional management.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.