Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Plasterboard:[as modifier] ‘drywall partitions’
- ‘Good advice, but how do you go about finding those often elusive studs in a wall that's covered with drywall or plaster?’
- ‘Ceiling drywall can sag under heavy loads, such as those sometimes created by insulation.’
- ‘Cutting a complex piece of drywall takes a bit of precision and may best be done with a paper or cardboard template.’
- ‘Then cut a new piece of drywall that is slightly larger than the hole.’
- ‘After removing the damaged portion of drywall, undercut the edges for a good clean opening.’
- ‘Water-resistant drywall used as a the backer quickly degrades once subjected to moisture.’
- ‘Since you mentioned that your walls are plaster as opposed to drywall, this makes things a little easier.’
- ‘If you use wheat paste in your finish plaster mix, you can put it right on drywall.’
- ‘It is a good idea to line the interior with plywood, since drywall can be easily busted through.’
- ‘It is used for cutting openings in drywall or paneling or for curved cuts.’
- ‘They put up drywall, installed proper lighting, and painted the walls and floor a light almond color.’
- ‘Joists are the framing members in the ceiling that the plaster or drywall is attached to.’
- ‘In a traditional barn, you won't find finishes like drywall or gypsum board.’
- ‘With repeated exposure to water, drywall will soften and break down, so here's another indicator.’
- ‘The techniques of working with drywall were presented in Chapter Three.’
- ‘Building materials, such as drywall, may not allow moisture to escape easily.’
- ‘Sometimes drywall is the only interior sheathing option for these wall panels.’
- ‘Whether Ed meant to modernize the old house or refurbish it is unclear, but he dug a large pit under it and put up drywall in places drywall had little business being.’
- ‘Some molds and mildews are fond of the cellulose in the paper backing on drywall, insulation and wallpaper.’
- ‘Always do a final sanding or sponging before preparing to paint or paper the newly applied drywall.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.