One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An oil that thickens or hardens on exposure to air, especially one used by artists in mixing paint.‘a varnish is a transparent coating based on drying oils, resins, and solvents’
- ‘The gold leaf is laid over an oil-based adhesive, essentially oil paint consisting of a drying oil and pigment.’
- ‘To help prevent nicks, try a silicone-based spray or drying oil like Essie Quick-e Drying Drops.’
- ‘It was reported that Aetius Amidenus, a medical writer in the 5th century, mentioned the use of a drying oil as a varnish on paintings.’
- ‘Water-repellent preservatives are mixtures of a solvent such as mineral spirits or other paint thinners, wax, a resin or drying oil and a wood preservative.’
- ‘He had similarly sought further reductions in tariffs on wool, coal, wheat, apples, macadamia nuts, sultanas, wine, and specialized drying oils.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.