Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An oil that thickens or hardens on exposure to air, especially one used by artists in mixing paint.‘a varnish is a transparent coating based on drying oils, resins, and solvents’
- ‘To help prevent nicks, try a silicone-based spray or drying oil like Essie Quick-e Drying Drops.’
- ‘The gold leaf is laid over an oil-based adhesive, essentially oil paint consisting of a drying oil and pigment.’
- ‘It was reported that Aetius Amidenus, a medical writer in the 5th century, mentioned the use of a drying oil as a varnish on paintings.’
- ‘Water-repellent preservatives are mixtures of a solvent such as mineral spirits or other paint thinners, wax, a resin or drying oil and a wood preservative.’
- ‘He had similarly sought further reductions in tariffs on wool, coal, wheat, apples, macadamia nuts, sultanas, wine, and specialized drying oils.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.