One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A machine or device for drying something, especially the hair or laundry.‘putting their sweaters in the big dryer’
- ‘Maybe someday computers will last as long refrigerators, washers, driers or other home appliances - but not today.’
- ‘The bathrooms are fully tiled while the fitted kitchens have a full range of appliances including washing machines, dryers and integrated hobs and ovens.’
- ‘Gas dryers are less expensive to operate than electric dryers.’
- ‘We slept in twin bedded rooms, with sheets and duvets provided, and the bathrooms were stocked with soap, towels, hair shampoo and dryers.’
- ‘Then I returned to the laundry and found the dryer was done tumbling, but the heating element had failed.’
- ‘Mr O'Connor's support team are still looking for a washing machine, a dryer and a colour TV.’
- ‘I'm thinking I'll cut the laundry shelf in half, get the dryer mounted on the wall and put the dishwasher underneath it.’
- ‘According to the U.S. Department of Energy, electric clothes dryers use more energy than most other home appliances.’
- ‘Many of the laundromat's washing machines and dryers are near the front of the building and appear to have avoided damage.’
- ‘Commander McQuade said that winter was a peak time for house fires because people were using heaters and dryers.’
- ‘Often-overlooked sources of interior heat gain are lights and household appliances, such as ovens, dishwashers, and dryers.’
- ‘In American homes, natural gas is used in furnaces, stoves, water heaters, clothes dryers, and other appliances.’
- ‘Most newer refrigerators, dishwashers, washing machines, and dryers let you reduce the energy they consume.’
- ‘When I grew up in the 1950s, only the wealthy owned color TVs, clothes dryers, stereos, dishwashers and disposals.’
- ‘I've never really worked a washing machine or dryer before, so I wasn't quite sure just what to do.’
- ‘All refrigerators, dishwashers, and dryers display an energy guide label indicating the annual estimated cost for operating the appliance or a standardized energy efficiency ratio.’
- ‘Kitchen items, clothes, washing machines, and dryers must be disinfected with bleach, and all surviving interior surfaces should be cleaned to prevent mold growth.’
- ‘There are two washing machines and two dryers and all users pay.’
- ‘The adjoining utility room has further storage units and is plumbed for a washing machine and dryer.’
- ‘Electrical dryers are expensive and unaffordable to most small farmers.’
2A substance mixed with oil paint or ink to promote drying.
- ‘The nonaqueous media include linseed or stand oils, dryers, varnish, alkyds, molten wax, organic solvent-based acrylic, epoxy, stains, and lacquers.’
- ‘She sat William down in the seat next to Amy and told him about the paints and the dryer.’
- ‘In fact, any such improvement conferred on the paint medium was probably due to the incorporation of driers into the oil used in the varnish production.’
- ‘For solvent-based paints, mildewcides, driers, and antiskinning compounds are added.’
Middle English (in the sense ‘person who dries’): from the verb dry + -er.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.