One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The dry bed of an intermittent stream.
- ‘Sun and shade, bogs and dry washes, slopes and valleys - all present different challenges.’
- ‘The road rose steeply past forests of cardónes and dry washes over stretches of washboard and sections paved with flat rocks.’
- ‘No matter what you do, a canyon wall, for instance, isn't going to help you, but the dry wash at the bottom might.’
- ‘Most fairways wiggle down a canyon or across a dry wash, and most greens are tucked beneath buttes, with boulders balancing high above.’
- ‘We hiked in dry washes where rattlesnakes convene and when I heard a tiny rattling sound, I said, ‘TONY?’’
- ‘The rocky, narrow trail to the palms goes through Sonoran Desert habitat, crossing several dry washes that carry water only after a torrential downpour - an infrequent occurrence.’
- ‘The dry washes here partly conceal tortoises the size of refrigerators; iguanas as long as your arm sprawl in the baking sun.’
- ‘Indians from the Central American highlands trudge for days up dry washes lined with bramble bushes.’
- ‘In her mind's eye she could see them filing along dry washes and scattering over the fields, stopping now and then to listen for the sound of fugitive feet against gravel and stubble.’
- ‘The Hopis also plant in the dry washes that occasionally flood, as well as in the mouths of arroyos.’
- ‘Jerome's sedan dipped as they drove through a dry wash on the road.’
- ‘However, vehicles will also encounter brush and dry washes, as well as sandy and hard-packed ground.’
- ‘Cow tracks and dry washes can now officially be designated ‘roads ‘and paved over to get to the loot.’
- ‘The bus drove downhill, turned right, and made its way out of town along Harshaw Creek Road, following the dry wash up and out, towards the San Rafael Valley and the old Mexican border crossing at Lochiel.’
- ‘Next to a dry wash off County Road 4955, the current Velasquez spread rises out of the red earth and sagebrush.’
- ‘Gourd-bearing vines are found in dry washes and along roadsides in Mexico and the U.S. Southwest.’
- ‘The dry wash is dusty and shouldn't be attempted after rain, but the view of what was once a primordial lake bed, particularly at sunset, is worth the trip.’
- ‘The dining hall and locker rooms are past a dry wash and up a cactus-lined path.’
- ‘Most of its vineyards lie to the west of that town, on either bank of the dry wash for which it is named in Spanish.’
- ‘One night not long ago, I intercepted a mountain lion in a dry wash.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.