One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Overcome alcoholism.‘he intends to dry out and get his life back together again’
give up drinking, give up alcohol, become teetotal, overcome alcoholism, take the pledgeView synonyms
- ‘Apparently she's drying out in a hospital somewhere.’
- ‘He was a lost soul with illusions, endlessly drying out from drugs and then going back on them.’
- ‘It's the additional bottle of schnapps for the alky who should be drying out.’
- ‘I have every intention of drying out enough to get back to work on the novel by Friday.’
- ‘Billy's lawyer alleges that Iris has a drink problem, while her lawyer claims that he had spent three weeks in a monastery drying out.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.