Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A cough not accompanied by phlegm production.
- ‘After 2 to 7 days, SARS patients may develop a dry cough.’
- ‘Two months prior to evaluation, she developed an upper respiratory infection with a dry cough.’
- ‘This was associated with a crackling sensation in her left ear, a post nasal drip and a dry cough.’
- ‘There is usually an abrupt onset of high fever, chills, dry cough, headache, myalgia, and prostration.’
- ‘They can include hoarseness, sore throat, headache, fever, and a dry cough, which can be persistent.’
- ‘These are helpful, especially if a dry cough is present.’
- ‘You'll probably feel weak and tired, and have a fever, dry cough, runny nose, chills, muscle aches, severe headache, eye pain, and a sore throat.’
- ‘The patient had occasionally observed a dry cough, without shortness of breath or fatigue for years.’
- ‘Such herbs would be reserved for dry coughs.’
- ‘There is often a loss of appetite, nausea and a harsh dry cough.’
- ‘They said the breakthrough was the first step towards developing a test to diagnose the illness which begins with high fever, breathing difficulties and a dry cough.’
- ‘You may begin with a dry cough, then produce phlegm as the cold progresses.’
- ‘A child with flu is likely to have symptoms including an abrupt onset of fever, shivering, headache, muscle ache and a dry cough.’
- ‘Side-effects can include a persistent dry cough, low blood pressure and faintness.’
- ‘Doctors say bird flu in humans looks similar to common flu, with high fever, sore throat and a dry cough that can deteriorate into severe respiratory problems.’
- ‘Take cough medicine to soothe a ticklish dry cough.’
- ‘Graham is well over it, though he is left with one of those dry coughs that threatens to last the winter through.’
- ‘They all have a dry cough, difficulty breathing, a general feeling of unwellness, headache and evidence of poor oxygenation of tissues.’
- ‘‘Good, good’, the old man said, interrupted by a dry cough.’
- ‘Common symptoms of the flu include headache, chills, a dry cough, aches and fever and a sore throat.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.