One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The crime of driving a vehicle with an excess of alcohol in the blood; drink-driving.
- ‘But just as we were getting closer, about a year after the pageant, my brother, at 18, died in a drunk-driving accident.’
- ‘I suppose now we must throw out all of our drunk-driving laws, right?’
- ‘After the interview, the company pulled up the public record and discovered he had had three drunken-driving arrests in the past five years.’
- ‘Aside from a drunken-driving conviction when he was 21, he said he has a clean driving record and doesn't drink and drive…’
- ‘A drunk-driving ticket he issued a man in August 2003 was reportedly dismissed the same month that the man donated $950 to the fund.’
- ‘Under the terms of the deal, he would be suspended for five years if convicted on a drunk-driving charge.’
- ‘When a messy drunk-driving incident lands him in jail, he is assigned the task of assembling a team of convicts to play in a big football game against sadistic guards.’
- ‘In New York, carrying a boxcutter within or near JFK airport now carries a stiffer potential penalty than sexual harassment, mugging and drunk-driving.’
- ‘The streets were generally free of after-hours difficulties, though there were a few arrests for drunk-driving and minor public order offences.’
- ‘A year earlier, he spent a night in jail after smashing his rental car into two vehicles in an alleged drunken-driving incident.’
- ‘Their existence has caused manned police patrols to be reduced while major offences like drunk-driving have increased.’
- ‘Among the destructive acts revealed here are the abuse of his spouse and the separate drunk-driving incidents in which his father was injured and his mother-in-law was killed.’
- ‘While the figures for drug-driving are lower than drunk-driving, they show that almost a quarter of the drug-users surveyed did drive within a few hours of taking drugs.’
- ‘A comprehensive study of the effect of vehicle modifications, laws on use of seat belts, and reductions in drunk-driving indicates that about 90% of this reduction was due to vehicle modifications.’
- ‘It's time to stiffen the law about drunk-driving.’
- ‘The province of Manitoba, already home to the toughest drunk-driving laws in the country, is getting even tougher.’
- ‘A taxi cab driver and a pedestrian were also victims of drunken-driving by the prince who is known for his forays to discos and nightclubs.’
- ‘Is it fair to say your drunk-driving arrest in January affected you competitively?’
- ‘Well, ultimately, it was a drunk-driving accident, and however difficult that might be for people to accept, that's the truth of what happened.’
- ‘If you are caught drunk-driving, you don't have the option, you must provide a sample, but if you commit murder or rape the same doesn't apply.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.