One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Make (someone) learn something by constant repetition.‘they keep drumming this point home’
- ‘Fire fighters are hoping three incidents in South Norwood over the weekend will drum home the message behind their latest kitchen fire safety campaign.’
- ‘Now the Health and Safety Executive is trying to drum home the message that forward planning is essential to ensuring safety.’
- ‘The lecture includes nearly an hour of shocking statistics drumming home the need for this massive transformation.’
- ‘Video clips of disaffected youths and single mums, drug addicts and alcoholics played on an almost continuous loop, as the message was drummed home.’
- ‘Ms Harman said it was vital to drum home the message that violence at home would not be tolerated or go unpunished.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.