Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A programmable electronic device able to imitate the sounds of a drum kit.
- ‘Ironically, the use of the drum machine led to a slight change in timing which made the song all the more amazing.’
- ‘A drum machine generates all beats whilst the threesome swaps keyboard and guitars between them.’
- ‘The mood is a somber one, but the funk still is present in the simplistic drum machine as it shuffles its way towards the end of the seven minute track.’
- ‘Other tracks sound like someone messing around with a drum machine, or a synthesizer, or an entire home studio's worth of gear - sketches rather than finished work.’
- ‘He repeats a simple three-chord phrase, beneath which he almost imperceptibly alters his drum machine's timbres.’
- ‘There is also the use of a drum machine on ‘Opera Singer’ which detracts even further from the tune.’
- ‘I got a job at the Empire State Building, and with the money I was able to buy a drum machine and a sequencer.’
- ‘They would joke around about getting a drum machine or having me play electronic drums.’
- ‘Barely audible vocal tracks are buried beneath drum machine beats and bubbly synthesizers.’
- ‘Her instruments include piano, electronic keyboard, and a digital drum machine.’
- ‘Most likely, there's a drum machine accompanying the proceedings with perfect rhythm.’
- ‘It's understandable that having a drum machine in place of other humans has its advantages.’
- ‘The final track is of particular interest to fans, as it marks the first time that the band has employed a drum machine in their music.’
- ‘They were two men with keyboards, a drum machine, and a guitar.’
- ‘Give him a synth and a drum machine and he's content.’
- ‘This task is usually left up to an electronic drum machine.’
- ‘And ‘Waiting For The Sun To Shine’ is far and away the best song, with a straightforward drum machine pulse and fizzing keyboards.’
- ‘Every penny you raise will be put to good use from £89 for a viola to £140 for a drum machine.’
- ‘Considering The Kills are just a duo who rely on guitars and a drum machine, it's easy to assume they have a limited life span.’
- ‘He adds great accents and steady rhythm, demonstrating that a human can match a drum machine.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.