Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A seizure of illegal drugs by the police or other law-enforcement agency.
- ‘On the other hand, she did get caught in a drug bust and then waded into a prison fight.’
- ‘The police found the body the next morning while conducting a drug bust, but they never, ever found the killer.’
- ‘The frigate is due back in Portsmouth before Christmas, having already notched up three major drugs busts during her deployment.’
- ‘A simple drug bust can turn into a fatal encounter if things aren't handled properly.’
- ‘On 7 August 1994, armed police raided the gay nightclub Tasty in Flinders Lane, abusing and strip searching all 463 patrons present, in a drug bust.’
- ‘That could entail anything from being caught smoking marijuana at a national park to being picked up in a drug bust by the Drug Enforcement Administration.’
- ‘Police could never determine if marijuana found during a drug bust would be used medicinally or not, she said.’
- ‘My father was killed in a drug bust on the police force in that city when I was only 3 years old!’
- ‘A drug bust would be fine, or maybe a dangerous fugitive arrest.’
- ‘Based on a true story about a major drug bust, and directed by William Friedkin with gritty authenticity, this Oscar-winning flick also features the best white-knuckle car chase in film history, hands down.’
- ‘By the way, the next day there was a big drug bust in Millwoods.’
- ‘I should reiterate, though, that it seemed like a drug bust, but no one is sure.’
- ‘As this chapter begins, a massive drug bust has just netted the town's biggest dealers.’
- ‘Chuck's protégé goes undercover on a drug bust.’
- ‘But his heights were matched by unbearable lows: cocaine addiction, a damaging drug bust and the media connecting his name to a murder he had nothing to do with.’
- ‘The latest drug bust revealed 160 pounds of cocaine hidden in the bodies of frozen fish.’
- ‘Now I have to give credit where it is due, so kudos to all those involved in the major drug bust on Monos Island.’
- ‘But police say the number of drugs busts reflects the amount of illegal narcotics circulating in Hampshire.’
- ‘During that same month, Webber helped to organize the biggest drug bust in Campbell County's history, during which 144 suspects were arrested.’
- ‘When the police needed a drug bust or a prostitution raid on its roster, it went there.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.