Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1 Hit or beat (someone) repeatedly.‘he was drubbed with tiresome regularity by his classmates’
hit, strike, knock, thump, thwack, jab, cuff, clip, smash, slam, weltView synonyms
- ‘With each flash a great jolt drubbed me till I thought my bones would break.’
- 1.1informal Defeat thoroughly in a match or contest.‘the Cleveland Indians drubbed Baltimore 9–0’
- ‘He was drubbed defensively, allowing six points by Denver's Kenyon Martin in the first four minutes.’
- ‘The World Champion became only the fifth man to hold UK and World Championships in the same year as he drubbed Ken Doherty 10-1 in the final at the Barbican Centre.’
- ‘But on the other hand, it isn't good entertainment to see the same side getting drubbed again and again and again.’
- ‘Halladay implied some criticism of his game-calling after the Orioles drubbed him last Friday.’
- ‘Terrell had climbed the ladder thanks to a three-way shoot-out victory over Australia's Maxine Nable and Robin Crawford, but Kulick drubbed her, 256-185, to advance to the final.’
- ‘But no-one really understood that Mauger was the missing ingredient until he returned to the side that drubbed the Springboks 52-16 in the opening Tri-Nations match.’
- ‘Ben Franklin drubs Thomas Jefferson in the race to be our nation's foremost Renaissance man.’
- ‘In 1999, Crowley repeated the feat, this time drubbing Collins.’
- ‘Kandia's young reserves managed half that tally, drubbing their Empire opponents 5-1.’
Early 17th century: probably from Arabic ḍaraba to beat, bastinado. The first recorded uses in English are by travellers in the Near East referring specifically to the punishment of bastinado.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.