One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An ancient roadway along which cattle were driven to market.
- ‘Alternatively, you can combine The Fara with an old drove road and a geological oddity to create a half-day wander of delightful contrasts.’
- ‘This route follows an ancient drove road up the glen.’
- ‘The drove roads Jock and Fly traveled shunned the towns, crossed high passes, meandered beside still waters, and one flock followed another with no more space between them than prevented intermingling.’
- ‘A steady climb takes you along an old drove road known as the Pass of the Cattle, used 300 years ago to drive cattle 30 miles to Braemar.’
- ‘In addition to parish roads, the Aberdeenshire turnpike roads overlaid two other road formations - drove roads and military roads.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.