One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of a district) officially recognized as being affected by drought and eligible for relief payments, taxation concessions, and other benefits.‘we will need a lot more rain before we take these shires off the drought declared list’
- ‘Farmers across these drought declared regions require a solid 12 months' supply of water on their properties before the declaration is revoked.’
- ‘Based on previous methods, about half of NSW would be drought declared.’
- ‘There are now 39 drought declared shires across the state - three of which are partially declared - plus 34 individual farms.’
- ‘The total land area drought declared is slightly under 75 per cent.’
- ‘Large parts of Cape York and the Gulf of Carpentaria missed out on monsoon rain this season, with nine northern shires drought declared yesterday.’
- ‘Severely drier-than-normal soil moisture levels for this time of year remain in parts of drought declared regions of the Otago, Canterbury, and Marlborough regions.’
- ‘The state government will provide up to $20,000 in assistance to drought declared producers each financial year.’
- ‘Dry southern parts of the state which haven't seen decent rain this wet season have been added to the long list of drought declared areas.’
- ‘One-third of Queensland was officially drought declared last week after the wet season failed.’
- ‘The story is repeated throughout rural Queensland, with 63 per cent of the state drought declared.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.