Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The excrement of certain animals, such as rodents, sheep, birds, and insects.‘rat droppings’
excrement, excreta, faeces, stools, dung, ordure, manurepoo, doo-doo, cacashit, crap, turdsView synonyms
- ‘A hotel worker dons a gas mask to keep out the stench from bird droppings while removing the nests from the rafters.’
- ‘Above the water it's a rugged shoreline and a few jagged rocks adorned with bird droppings.’
- ‘Occupied herons' nests may be readily told by numerous droppings on the ground beneath them.’
- ‘Health officials attribute infections in humans to contact with the droppings of sick birds.’
- ‘One patient cleaned rodent droppings from her home within two weeks of her illness.’
- ‘Sacks and boxes containing food had been gnawed by rats and droppings were found throughout the premises.’
- ‘There may have been a few more dried bird droppings, but other than that, everything was the same.’
- ‘Parasitic wasps in search of a caterpillar host may be drawn to their prey by the odor of its droppings.’
- ‘Kick aside a pile of fresh horse droppings, and a small cloud of flies is sure to explode around you.’
- ‘We were walking in a quiet street when my wife noticed bird droppings on her coat.’
- ‘These include taking care on farms, where children may come into contact with the bug if it is present in animal droppings.’
- ‘But soon new seeds are carried in by the wind and on the fur of animals or in their droppings.’
- ‘He moved silently, on the lookout for tracks, droppings or other animal signs.’
- ‘The white droppings of birds served as location pointers for eagles and vultures nesting in the craggy reaches.’
- ‘It is transmitted through urine and droppings from infected rodents, and airborne particles.’
- ‘The nest is a depression in the moss, and the droppings of the young accumulate to form a rim.’
- ‘She said that large amounts of the virus were known to be excreted in the droppings of infected birds.’
- ‘Become familiar with what your bird's normal droppings look like before the switch.’
- ‘Acid rain and rain that mixes with corrosive bird droppings also tend to do more damage.’
- ‘The officers found numerous rat droppings and structural damage caused by rodent activity.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.