One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A drop kick in rugby.‘he kicked his third droppie to make the score 18-3’
- ‘Yes, he goalkicked nicely under pressure and his droppie was a rare and beautiful sight, but watch the replay again please and come back to me.’
- ‘It was his thunderous left-footed droppie in the 46th minute that proved crucial as the All Blacks qualified for the final.’
- ‘His sweet droppie against South Africa wasn't a mirage.’
- ‘The all-passing Aussie kicks his first droppie, from nearly 50 metres, to send South Africa packing in the semifinal.’
- ‘He struggled in all facets, missing a forty metre gift on halftime to go with a duffed droppie and several miss kicks.’
- ‘He drills a perfect droppie to take the lead.’
- ‘The Clermont Number 10 missed a droppie but kicked a penalty goal.’
- ‘It was his first droppie in a test match since 2012 (for the record, that was against Ireland and it won the game).’
- ‘He hits a comical droppie that is charged down but redeems himself by running a clever line back to support his retreating teammate.’
- ‘We've learned this the hard way, suffering an extra time droppie to lose the 1995 final.’
1970s: abbreviation of drop kick.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.