One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A designated area into which troops or supplies are dropped by parachute or in which skydivers land.
- ‘The whole experience lasted six minutes, from leaving the Hercules to hitting to the ground in, or around, the drop zone marked out in front of the screaming young fans.’
- ‘If you were lucky you landed in the drop zone and made a good rolling fall, then quick-released your parachute before it could drag you and break your neck.’
- ‘He and his comrades were under fire from the moment they left the plane above the drop zone at Ginkel Heath, about eight miles east of Arnhem.’
- ‘As we slowly glided towards the drop zone, landing softly back on solid ground, I began to wish we could have stayed up for longer, but gravity will not be denied.’
- ‘Upon return to Kalaikunda, the banner is dispatched by the aircraft into the special drop zone and taken away for analysis.’
- ‘This looked to be one of the most popular acts with the crowd, with a definite surge of people towards the drop zone.’
- ‘After our chutes opened, we would be guided into the drop zone by Woodford, standing with his own radio on the ground.’
- ‘The team of five Red Berets jumped at 6000 feet above the stadium, looking for the red smoke flare billowing up from the field to indicate the drop zone.’
- ‘However, it is known that he had an anti-Nazi uncle in Salzburg, who owned land that would have provided an ideal drop zone for the Foxley sniper team.’
- ‘Despite learning all this, I still eagerly set off to make my second attempt at skydiving, this time going to the drop zone closer to home.’
- ‘Once under canopy, the beginners steered themselves back towards the drop zone before descending gently for a perfect tip-toe landing.’
- ‘Sadly, we had given the last of our supplies out at our previous drop zone.’
- ‘They would fly a few feet over the drop zone and then deploy the cargo using a small drogue parachute.’
- ‘If the streamer lands one mile south of the drop zone, she jumps one mile north of it.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.