Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- see aitch
- ‘He spoke with a Bedfordshire accent, and dropped his aitches.’
- ‘She now drops her aitches causing ‘Hillary’ to sound like ‘Ee Willy’!’
- ‘Some socialists, however, have sought to drop their aitches as a token of working-class solidarity.’
- ‘It's not often a solicitor drops his aitches.’
- ‘Why do people moan about people dropping their aitches, and almost never complain about them dropping their r's.’
Fail to pronounce the letter h at the beginning of words, a characteristic feature of certain dialects.
- ‘When the soldier speaks he drops his aitches and several other letters.’
- ‘Unlike so many of the older Portuguese he did not drop his aitches; but for all that he used quaint, evocative words, like potah potah for puddle, and seemed to belong to a hermetical world neither Guyanese nor foreign.’
- ‘If a policeman writes in why does he have to drop his aitches and sound gruff and arrogant?’
- ‘Are we the only ones who drop our aitches and do we really say ‘were’ instead of ` was’.’
- ‘He's another one who drops his aitches.’
- ‘She apparently also has the nicknames ‘Hollywood’ and ‘Fabulous,’ which means that poor Matt has to say those words like shibboleths, or like Eliza Doolittle trying not to drop her aitches.’
- ‘Commoner Bevin still occasionally drops his aitches; during the war he whipped on his workers with ‘Give ‘itler ‘ell!’’
- ‘‘It's all very well for Blair to slur his consonants and drop his aitches, but that's all put on.’’
- ‘The character tended to drop his aitches, yielding I never ‘ad it, so I'd ‘ad it as far as judgin’ was concerned.’
- ‘Why do people moan about people dropping their aitches?’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.