Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A large, heavy weight raised mechanically and allowed to drop, as used in drop-forging and piledriving.
- ‘They are with young engineer Philip, from Cleveland, who has designed a trailer with a hydraulically-operated drop hammer that allows one person to fence off a field.’
- ‘Trimming should be carried out hot; furnace, drop hammer and trimming press should be as close together as possible to minimize preheating and avoid wasting time and heat.’
- ‘Disclosed is a device for automatically and continuously lifting and dropping a drop hammer.’
- ‘Because triphammers are relatively puny compared to drop hammers, they have to work with the materials they are forging.’
- ‘The process begins with the design of the part being laid up on a mold, transferred to the 'male and female dies' and then mounted to the drop hammer.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.