One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A goal scored in open play by drop-kicking the ball over the crossbar, scoring three points (rugby union) or one point (rugby league).
- ‘He also added two conversions and finally stroked over a drop goal to clinch matters with the last kick of the game.’
- ‘While he was off the pitch the Giants scored two tries and a drop goal took their lead to 15-12.’
- ‘After a drop goal attempt they drove well to gain a scrum just 15 metres from the try line.’
- ‘He had earlier opened the scoring with a drop goal and proceeded to score a try of his own and kick five conversions and four penalties.’
- ‘The Hurricanes scored five goals to earn the bonus point against two goals, a penalty goal and a drop goal.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.