Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1another term for drop curtain
- ‘If working indoors, cover the floor with a thick layer of plastic and add a canvas drop cloth on top of that.’
- ‘He appeared with a large model of something hidden under a drop cloth.’
- ‘Then, tape a drop cloth, craft paper or similar material to the masking tape to protect the surrounding floor to keep saw dust and other debris from getting under the protective covering’
- ‘Place any objects you are not removing from the room in the center and cover them with a drop cloth.’
- ‘Then cover the surrounding planks with a drop cloth, craft paper, or similar material to protect the existing floor.’
- ‘Avoid spraying when there is any wind, and hang a drop cloth or large piece of cardboard behind the railing to catch the overspray.’
- ‘Lay down a canvas drop cloth or other covering to protect nearby surfaces, such as floors, tubs, and countertops.’
- ‘Put newspaper or a drop cloth on the floor under the hanging bunches to catch fallen leaves, seeds, and petals.’
- ‘Place a canvas drop cloth over the floor of the tub or shower to protect the surface from the sand-like grout that can scratch it.’
- ‘Cover the work surface with plain newsprint or a drop cloth.’
- ‘A drop cloth is a 3-by 3-foot piece of muslin or plastic with dowel rods attached to each side.’
- ‘Protect your floors and minimize clean-up by covering the floor with a plastic drop cloth.’
- ‘Take the drop cloth by the four corners and carry it out; put it into a trash can or someplace outside where it won't harm anything, at least not permanently.’
- ‘Protect your floor (wood or carpet) with a drop cloth.’
- ‘Cover a floor area with a drop cloth and set up a card table or sawhorse/plywood work surface over the cloth.’
- ‘So grab your drop cloth, brush, and ladder and get out there before it rains.’
- ‘When he got home, Trevor found a ladder laid across the floor on top of a drop cloth.’
- ‘Place a drop cloth below or adjacent to the fence to catch debris and paint drips or overspray.’
- ‘All experiments were conducted over a drop cloth to permit 100 percent collection of the debitage.’
- ‘Pansy and Helen had thought of everything for painting, including a drop cloth to protect the blond hardwood floors.’
2North American term for dust sheet
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.