One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An Arabian camel, especially one of a light and swift breed trained for riding or racing.
- ‘One, found in northern Africa and central Asia, consists of the dromedary (one-humped camel) and bactrian camels (two-humped camel).’
- ‘Another account tells of a train of dromedaries headed to remote Washington Gulch that attracted a large crowd in July 1865 when it passed through Virginia City.’
- ‘They are thought to share a common ancestor with the camels and dromedaries of Africa and Asia.’
- ‘Some think that today's one-humped dromedary also derived from this two-humped camel ancestor.’
- ‘‘It was not known that the dromedary was present in the Middle East more than 10,000 years ago,’ he said.’
- ‘Camels, both the one-humped Arabian or dromedary and the two-humped Bactrian variety, have been used to support campaigns in desert areas from biblical times onwards.’
- ‘The one-humped Arabian camel is also known as the dromedary.’
- ‘They were on dromedaries, with their heads completely wrapped in the indigo blue scarves to keep out the sand.’
- ‘One group eventually crossed the Bering Land Bridge to Asia where, following an evolutionary path that's only sketchily understood, it became the two-humped Bactrian camel and the one-humped dromedary.’
- ‘The finds suggest that the massive dromedary - or single-humped camel - was hunted by prehistoric people, the researchers add.’
- ‘Of particular significance to ancient Arabia was the domestication of the dromedary (one-humped camel) in the southern part of the peninsula between 3000 and 2500 B.C.E.’
- ‘Alligators eat you, bees sting, crabs pinch, riding a dromedary makes you dizzy.’
- ‘At 27, the young Australian arrived in Alice Springs with six dollars, trained two wild camels (you try it), and set off for the Indian Ocean with the semiferal dromedaries, two tame ones, and her dog.’
- ‘In dromedaries - and also in two-humped Asian camels and South American llamas - about half the antibodies circulating in the blood lack a light chain.’
- ‘Both species have a long gestation period: the dromedary 12-13 months and the Bactrian 13-14 months.’
Middle English: from Old French dromedaire or late Latin dromedarius (camelus) ‘swift camel’, based on Greek dromas, dromad- ‘runner’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.