Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Any of the large wheels of a locomotive, to which power is applied either directly or via coupling rods.
- ‘With its multitube boiler, blast pipe exhaust, pistons connected directly to the driving wheels and its ability to haul its train at over 30 miles per hour, this machine set the standard for locomotive design.’
- ‘The new locomotive weighs approximately two tons less than the old locomotive and carries about 59 tons less on its driving wheels.’
- ‘Nearby was an engine: a boiler on a flat rail car, pistons powering driving wheels that must've been taller than I am.’
- ‘Only the smaller driving wheels, which lowered the boiler centre line and with it the foot plating along the sides, which in turn led to a raised length of foot plating over the cylinders, gave the clue.’
- ‘A study of the design of the two engines left only the H - 7 as a candidate, but it was found to be impossible to provide sufficient boiler capacity to supply steam for a 16-coupled engine with so large a driving wheel diameter.’
2A wheel transmitting motive power in machinery.
- ‘The robot can pivot on the spot by using two driving wheels that move independently.’
- ‘Into the lower part of each frame is provided an aperture to insert an axlebox for each of the driving wheels (three each side in the photograph).’
- ‘It also can move flexibly and smoothly over slopes and uneven surfaces, by utilizing a hinge that connects its front and back driving wheels.’
- ‘Steering is performed by differencing angular velocity measurements from two opposing driving wheels.’
- ‘Early in June the mine suffered a minor setback when one of the driving wheels of the engine broke.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.