One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A device producing a small jet of water for drinking.
- ‘Swiping his forehead he strode to the drinking fountain and cupped some water into his hand before splashing his face to remove some of the sweat and cool off a bit.’
- ‘In addition, it's likely that your water distribution network has common, non-treated uses for water such as drinking fountains strapped to trees, which drain to the ground, and vehicle wash areas.’
- ‘Two niches in the long wall house traditional drinking fountains - devices that should be reintroduced in other cities, particularly in hot climates.’
- ‘If you can't find a drinking fountain, carry a water bottle in a waist pack or shoulder strap.’
- ‘Keith said he was forced to cup his hands to carry water from a drinking fountain for his brother.’
- ‘These passive monitors could be attached to public phones, drinking fountains, and in the S-bends of urinals.’
- ‘In San Francisco, the city sterilized public telephones and drinking fountains.’
- ‘Without it, water from a drinking fountain would simply shoot up from the spout without arcing into the fountain again.’
- ‘There were no drinking fountains - kids had to bring bottled water.’
- ‘She walked around and found a restroom with drinking fountains by it, and drank a lot of water.’
- ‘Painting the walls and installing drinking fountains would help.’
- ‘There are cyclists and pedestrians aplenty, dog walkers, drinking fountains, park benches and a canoe and paddle boat rental.’
- ‘They broke the wire fence to the play area along with the overflow pipe to the drinking fountain.’
- ‘Ahead, the brown-painted cinderblocks of a ranger station rose, inviting, a battered drinking fountain by the door.’
- ‘While he was bending over, to sip the cool water coming out of the drinking fountain, he heard Megan talking to Katie.’
- ‘It also wants to renovate toilet blocks, restore a stone drinking fountain, install new seating and litter bins and put up information boards with historical and ecological information.’
- ‘After the first game, one of the young guys took a drink from the drinking fountain, stood by Mike's picture, and asked who the guy on the poster was.’
- ‘While there's nothing wrong with bottled water, tap water or water from drinking fountains is equally beneficial (as well as more cost efficient).’
- ‘They all sat in the band room eating cold pizza and water from the drinking fountain.’
- ‘When brushing your teeth or getting a drink of water from a drinking fountain, for instance, one hand should be placed upon the sink or upon the water fountain for support while the other hand is working.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.