Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A large structure with equipment for drilling an oil well.
- ‘In addition, there is relatively good access to this site, which was an important practical consideration for deployment of the drilling rig.’
- ‘It is also recommended that the system should adopt drilling rigs with a minimum stroke of 3 m together with a high-torque rotary drill head.’
- ‘What we have seen plenty of are roads, pipelines and drilling rigs.’
- ‘New drilling ships and semi-submersible drilling rigs such as Cajun Express allow drillers to work at far greater depths than more conventional platforms that rest on the ocean floor.’
- ‘Whether the drilling is submersible or semi-submersible, the mobilisation costs, drilling rigs, etc. are very expensive.’
- ‘Day rates for deep-water drilling rigs have more than doubled in the last year, rising from $75,000 to $150,000 and above.’
- ‘Yes, they construct oil pipelines and drilling rigs and such.’
- ‘And there is no lack of more mundane demands for strong cables: for example, to hang bridges and tether drilling rigs to the seabed.’
- ‘The bill introduces a temporary 6-year tax exemption on income earned from non-resident drilling rigs and seismic ships involved in exploration for petroleum in New Zealand.’
- ‘As capital flowed in to buy gas reserves and ramp up production, drilling rigs and other equipment became scarce commodities, creating an upward spiral of costs.’
- ‘Unfortunately, oil companies continued to be conservative in their spending on drilling, and his operation, caught with an excess of drilling rigs and a shortage of cash, would be acquired by another firm.’
- ‘He performs underwater repairs on offshore drilling rigs.’
- ‘This is a drilling rig that's currently being tested.’
- ‘Thirty-seven million gallons spill from oil tankers alone, and 15 million more from oil drilling rigs.’
- ‘While there is no hardship pay for working offshore, entry-level roustabouts on the drilling rig still begin at about $30,000 per year.’
- ‘The company employs about 600 people and operates 36 drilling rigs.’
- ‘This industry and all its employment opportunities might be negatively affected by the inevitable pollution and unsightly drilling rigs lining the coastline.’
- ‘A similar amount of America's crude oil production has been shut down, and it is yet unknown how much damage has been done to drilling rigs and the underwater pipes that carry oil to refiners.’
- ‘Fields that are profitable enough will warrant drilling rigs.’
- ‘But opponents fear that a drilling rig as high as a 12-storey building would be a scar on the landscape, while noise levels and light pollution would be unacceptable.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.