One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large structure with equipment for drilling an oil well.
- ‘In addition, there is relatively good access to this site, which was an important practical consideration for deployment of the drilling rig.’
- ‘Thirty-seven million gallons spill from oil tankers alone, and 15 million more from oil drilling rigs.’
- ‘Day rates for deep-water drilling rigs have more than doubled in the last year, rising from $75,000 to $150,000 and above.’
- ‘The company employs about 600 people and operates 36 drilling rigs.’
- ‘What we have seen plenty of are roads, pipelines and drilling rigs.’
- ‘Fields that are profitable enough will warrant drilling rigs.’
- ‘But opponents fear that a drilling rig as high as a 12-storey building would be a scar on the landscape, while noise levels and light pollution would be unacceptable.’
- ‘A similar amount of America's crude oil production has been shut down, and it is yet unknown how much damage has been done to drilling rigs and the underwater pipes that carry oil to refiners.’
- ‘It is also recommended that the system should adopt drilling rigs with a minimum stroke of 3 m together with a high-torque rotary drill head.’
- ‘This industry and all its employment opportunities might be negatively affected by the inevitable pollution and unsightly drilling rigs lining the coastline.’
- ‘While there is no hardship pay for working offshore, entry-level roustabouts on the drilling rig still begin at about $30,000 per year.’
- ‘Yes, they construct oil pipelines and drilling rigs and such.’
- ‘The bill introduces a temporary 6-year tax exemption on income earned from non-resident drilling rigs and seismic ships involved in exploration for petroleum in New Zealand.’
- ‘New drilling ships and semi-submersible drilling rigs such as Cajun Express allow drillers to work at far greater depths than more conventional platforms that rest on the ocean floor.’
- ‘And there is no lack of more mundane demands for strong cables: for example, to hang bridges and tether drilling rigs to the seabed.’
- ‘As capital flowed in to buy gas reserves and ramp up production, drilling rigs and other equipment became scarce commodities, creating an upward spiral of costs.’
- ‘Whether the drilling is submersible or semi-submersible, the mobilisation costs, drilling rigs, etc. are very expensive.’
- ‘Unfortunately, oil companies continued to be conservative in their spending on drilling, and his operation, caught with an excess of drilling rigs and a shortage of cash, would be acquired by another firm.’
- ‘He performs underwater repairs on offshore drilling rigs.’
- ‘This is a drilling rig that's currently being tested.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.