Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A structure consisting of coupled lengths of pipe or casing, which occupies the hole made in drilling for oil or gas.
- ‘Vibration of the drill string may also reduce the friction between the drill string and the hole, resulting in lower torque requirements.’
- ‘The first end of the shaft is connectable to the drill string of a horizontal boring machine.’
- ‘You keep adding to the drill string until you reach the total depth of the well.’
- ‘A 400-ton heave compensator keeps the drill string stable relative to the sea floor.’
- ‘Mud is injected into the drill string, up a borehole and through the blowout preventor adjacent the sea floor.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.