One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Detached pieces of ice drifting with the wind or ocean currents.‘the blue ocean was dotted with pans of drift ice’
- ‘In August 1905, the ship resumed its course through fog and drift ice.’
- ‘Belhadan's location as the northernmost ice-free port of the Empire helped explain its importance, but it wasn't so far south that drift ice or icebergs were unheard of.’
- ‘In 1965, a sudden change occurred; drift ice and polar water covered the north Icelandic shelf during spring.’
- ‘The boat transport of supplies back to the station rarely lacked dangerous moments from encounters with fast-moving drift ice and walruses.’
- ‘This choice allowed us to travel comfortably with the wind at our backs while viewing the constant vista of mountains and valleys, the ice-speckled Atlantic Ocean in the distance dotted with floes of drift ice from Quebec and Labrador.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.