One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The nest of a squirrel, typically in the form of a mass of twigs in a tree.
lair, sett, earth, lodge, burrow, hole, tunnel, cave, dugout, hollow, covert, shelter, hiding place, hideoutView synonyms
- ‘The red squirrel's home is a drey, which is a hollow ball made of twigs and leaves in a fork amongst the branches close to the trunk of a tree.’
- ‘The Siberian flying squirrel is a nocturnal arboreal rodent, which nests in tree cavities, twig dreys, and nest-boxes.’
- ‘They rear their young in stick nests or ‘dreys’, are less active in winter, and do not hibernate or bury nuts as winter store.’
- ‘At another site it was decided to remove a grey squirrel from its winter drey.’
- ‘We'll be together in our bear's cave, and our squirrel's drey, and we'll live on honey, and nuts, and we'll sing songs about ourselves - about warm trees and snug caves, and lying in the sun.’
Early 17th century: of unknown origin.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.