Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A place for giving emergency treatment to troops injured in battle.‘the family received a letter from Joe written in a field dressing station’
- ‘Finally, after a great amount of effort, Paul reaches the dressing station with Kat in his arms.’
- ‘But on the way down to the dressing station, he forgets to stoop low where an old sniper is working.’
- ‘He was then a medical officer with the Royal Horse Artillery in command of an advanced dressing station throughout the Italian campaign, where he was wounded.’
- ‘Every German infantry division had two medical companies, each of which provided one field hospital, two main dressing stations, and two casualty clearing stations to receive wounded from medical units in the field.’
- ‘Campbell was in France at the outbreak of the war and had immediately volunteered for nursing duties in the field dressing stations near the front line.’
- ‘Stretcher bearers took me to a dressing station, where there were so many worse off than me.’
- ‘I can't tell you how long I lay there, but the next thing I knew I was in a dressing station.’
- ‘So I marched along with my men and sent the Staff Sergeant ahead with the tent that had to be put up for the advance dressing station.’
- ‘Staff from the National Army Museum will portray the medical unit of an advance dressing station during the battle of Loos in 1915.’
- ‘‘Those whose injuries are not life-threatening are taken to a dressing station in one of the barns while the seriously injured are airlifted to hospital,’ he said.’
- ‘The stretcher bearers then could transport him through a series of communication trenches to the advanced dressing station.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.