One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A man's white shirt worn with a bow tie and a dinner jacket on formal occasions.
- ‘He wore a black tuxedo with a white dress shirt that was tied at the neck with a crisp gray and silver cravat and a soft lacy tie framing it.’
- ‘A few minutes later Zack sauntered out of the bedroom in a full tuxedo (minus the dress shirt and bow tie, with his mother's black shoes).’
- ‘His dinner jacket was draped over a chaise lounge by the fireplace, and his white dress shirt was halfway unbuttoned revealing his flawless skin.’
- ‘I've taken to wearing dark blue suits, with a formal dress shirt, gold cuff links and black bow tie.’
- ‘His outfit consisted of a white cotton dress shirt with a black bow tie and matching shoes.’
- ‘He sprang up quickly and spryly, adjusting a bow-tie that was fixed firmly to a frilly white dress shirt underneath his tuxedo's jacket.’
- 1.1North American A man's long-sleeved shirt, suitable for wearing with a tie.
- ‘Quickly I pulled out a pair of black pants, my white dress shirt, a black tie and a dark green sweater.’
- ‘Boys had to wear dark blue slacks and a white dress shirt.’
- ‘He wore a pair of black pants, a white dress shirt and a black leather jacket.’
- ‘He'd removed his suit coat and rolled up the sleeves of his white dress shirt.’
- ‘Wear your suit with a dress shirt or oxford shirt.’
- ‘He was wearing a pair of plain, navy-blue slacks and a light blue, long sleeved dress shirt with the top button unbuttoned to reveal a white undershirt.’
- ‘He wore no blazer and his white dress shirt was rolled up around his nicely toned arms, a tribal tattoo peaking out from under the shirt.’
- ‘He was dressed nicely in a white dress shirt and black pants, which complemented his brown hair and eyes.’
- ‘I could tell that he was still working, because he was wearing a pair of black pin striped pants, a white dress shirt with a black tie and had a jacket tossed over his shoulder.’
- ‘He is wearing a white dress shirt, and black pants with suspenders.’
- ‘It was all too formal for me, because of its crisp white dress shirt, black trousers, diagonally-striped, maroon necktie, and black jacket.’
- ‘He was wearing black dress pants and a white dress shirt.’
- ‘In his prime, Jones seldom played in anything less formal than a dress shirt and necktie.’
- ‘Taking a pen from his white dress shirt, he began to ready his paper for work.’
- ‘He wore a white dress shirt and black pants, no tie.’
- ‘Next, he loosened the collar of his white dress shirt.’
- ‘Tristan was dressed smartly in a white dress shirt, black tie and pants.’
- ‘Joshua was standing outside, dressed in loose black trousers and a white dress shirt, untucked.’
- ‘His suit was a light grey, with a red tie against his white dress shirt.’
- ‘He wore a white dress shirt under a black suit jacket and a dark red tie.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.