One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in the mythology of some Australian Aboriginal peoples) Dreamtime or Alcheringa, especially as manifested in the natural world and celebrated in ritual.
- ‘In central Australia, Indigenous notions of time and property have stressed the symbolic value of objects in terms of the Dreaming and their active role in exchange.’
- ‘After a day spent walking in the silence of the dunescape I found myself alone within the Ngarrindjeri's shelter, in the presence of an extant Dreaming.’
- ‘At this level I think the Australian Aborigines are correct with their concept of the Dreaming.’
- ‘Aboriginal culture is grounded in the stories of The Dreaming.’
- ‘They do not understand that the Dreaming is there when we dance.’
- ‘The ensuing furore focused on two issues of authenticity: was the painting Aboriginal, even though it depicted her Dreaming as a result of his input?’
- ‘For indigenous central Australians, the Dreaming is omnipresent though certain representations in particular are infused with its power.’
- ‘The presence of the didgeridoo permeates this album but what makes the The Dreaming so enjoyable is the way that a diverse gang of musicians have integrated it into their music.’
- ‘They represent the difference between two mythologies: of terra nullius and the Dreaming, of land which is possessed and land which possesses.’
- ‘Indigenous Peoples look back to the Dreaming to explain this mystery.’
- ‘From this, ways in which a creative process that can be seen to exist in the Dreaming relates to contemporary accounts of song finding are suggested.’
- ‘I've discussed this even as recently as half an hour ago with some people, that there's God's way, and there's the Dreaming, and God created the Dreaming.’
- ‘Through verbal and non-verbal communication, Aboriginal people keep the Dreaming alive.’
- ‘This Dreaming, this power, this creation that comes into mobility and proximity in ceremony, emerges from a state of powerful rest.’
- ‘In summary, in the Dreaming the creative essences of people and animals are deposited at particular sites.’
- ‘What comment would you make about a concept like the Dreaming and Buddhism - is there a connection at all, do you think, between those two understandings?’
- ‘And what could count as a bad painting if the Dreaming is deep?’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.