Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A pair of candidates standing together for political office who are ideally matched to attract widespread support.
- ‘While the talks between Empey and Donaldson seem to have come to nothing, the notion of the dream ticket still holds some appeal for those in the unionist middle-ground.’
- ‘Robin Cook and Clare Short make an improbable dream ticket.’
- ‘From our perspective, the dream ticket would be for Fahey and McDaid to run.’
- ‘‘I want you to know we think this is a dream ticket,’ Kerry said as he appeared with Edwards and his family in a rally in Cleveland, Ohio.’
- ‘The pair were excitedly referred to as a dream ticket when they arrived a year ago but, for Dalglish, the return has served only to obliterate his lustre as far as the majority of Celtic supporters are concerned.’
- ‘The dream ticket would have to be John Prescott and Ann Widdecombe.’
- ‘‘We think this is a dream ticket,’ Mr. Kerry told a rally of thousands in Cleveland yesterday.’
- ‘One of those post several pint political hypotheticals came up - what would have been the real dream ticket for the Democrats in the US presidential election?’
- ‘Some think that Allen could form a dream ticket with the better known Rice or Giuliani as vice-president, pulling in extra voters in swing states.’
- ‘Washington is alive with the latest Campaign '08 rumor: a dream ticket of John McCain and Jeb Bush.’
- ‘It's something we'd hoped for and really been expecting for a number of years now, but to have it happen is marvellous, it's a dream ticket.’
- ‘Whether that future has a political element or not remains to be confirmed but Kenny would dearly love to have a candidate of Galwey's calibre and profile on a dream ticket in South Kerry.’
- ‘Asked what his dream ticket would be for 2008, he responded, ‘Somebody who would stand up and fight for the kind of people we're talking about here today.’’
- ‘Eighteen months previously, the Simpson-Crawley alliance had been paraded as Lancashire's dream ticket, but it quickly went sour over their decision to sideline Ian Austin and Graham Lloyd.’
- ‘That was a dream ticket, that they probably dreamed about at night.’
- ‘A couple of months ago I fantasised about a dream ticket that could both unite the US and rejoin the battle against Islamist terror with new vigour and integrity.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.