One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
decide randomly, spin a coin, toss a coin, throw dice, draw straws, cut straws, decide on the toss of a coin, decide on the throw of a die, dice, decide on the drawing of strawsView synonyms
- ‘We drew straws to decide on who would do the shooting.’
- ‘He draws straws to determine who he'll see, so don't hold your breath.’
- ‘So if there's a problem upstairs that is in the way, then you have to draw straws.’
- ‘We drew straws in the clubhouse, and I got the short one.’
- ‘We drew straws to see who had to come and wake you up.’
- ‘So it's just a matter of deciding who plays which move, perhaps by drawing straws or cutting cards.’
- ‘Given David's interest in his wine cellar, it's a great bonus to be able to sample freely from his wine list without having to draw straws about who drives home.’
- ‘I had a mental picture of these guys drawing straws for weeks to see who would end up with this gig.’
- ‘Beer drinkers had to draw straws for the last pint after barrels in a Strensall pub ran dry, the landlady has claimed.’
- ‘We drew straws to decide who would sleep at the edge,’ recalls Band, who had the honour.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.