One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Attract hostile criticism away from a more important target.‘the concession will go some way to draw the fire of the government's critics’
- ‘Three more ninjas attack Chuck War, drawing his fire away from Battle Armor Bob.’
- ‘The comments regarding the subordination of women in First Corinthians, Ephesians and Timothy were points which easily drew my fire.’
- ‘Word is they know our plans and the General has a gambit to draw their fire before they can use that knowledge against us.’
- ‘Inside he can see Mai continually drawing his fire.’
- ‘She's going to try to draw their fire, make them think all of us are over there, so we should be fine here for the time being.’
- ‘We will draw their fire, and you can follow us at your will.’
- ‘I'll rush out of the building, and draw their fire…’
- ‘Jewel then charges alongside the buffet, finally attracting the soldiers' attention and drawing their fire.’
- ‘If he's not, the fighters need to charge in and draw his fire.’
- ‘We need to draw their fire away so that one of us can at least take one of them out!’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.