One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A sheet that is placed in such a way that it can be taken from under a patient or invalid without disturbing the bedclothes.
- ‘One team member is on each side using the draw sheet, and one person supports both legs.’
- ‘The circulating nurse uses gel pads to pad both of the patient's arms at the elbows, and then, using the draw sheet, tucks the patient's arms at his or her sides with the palmar surface of the patient's hands against the patient's body.’
- ‘The draw sheets are available in every outlet throughout the town.’
- ‘The nurse secures the patient's arms at his or her side with a draw sheet that then is taped across the chest.’
- ‘At the control site, the nurses used their usual method of transferring patients from bed to stretcher and from stretcher to bed (ie, at least two nurses used a draw sheet to lift and pull the patient).’
- ‘Cover the mattress pad with 100% cotton bottom and draw sheets treated with fire-retardant chemicals that have been laundered more than 50 times.’
- ‘The draw sheet is placed over the patient's arms and tucked under his or her body to keep the arms securely in place throughout the procedure.’
2A list of matches to be played in a tournament.‘it is the duty of any coach arriving at a competition to get hold of a current draw sheet’
- ‘From either side of the draw sheet, Hewitt and Agassi eye each other with a mixture of anticipation and suspicion.’
- ‘But looking down the draw sheet after a rain-sodden first week at Wimbledon, there are only two former champions left in the tournament - there were only three to start with - and one of them is Lleyton Hewitt.’
- ‘The club matchplay draw sheets have recently gone on the notice board.’
- ‘Please put your name on the draw sheet in the clubhouse.’
- ‘I saw the draw sheet last night and looked at it twice.’
- ‘Word has it that a vanload of paper, needed for draw sheets and other such leaflets, passed into the course without undergoing so much as a cursory glance.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.